Alani

1 Gorgasali Street, Tbilisi, Georgia
Alani - Ossetian Khachapuri at Restaurant Alani, Tbilisi, Georgia
Alani - Braised Veal at Restaurant Alani, Tbilisi, Georgia
Alani - Aubergine in Walnut Sauce at Restaurant Alani, Tbilisi, Georgia
Alani - Teliani Valley (Teluri Evropuli) white wine at Restaurant Alani, Tbilisi, Georgia
Alani - Alani Beer at Restaurant Alani, Tbilisi, Georgia
Alani - Restaurant Alani, Tbilisi, Georgia
Alani - Restaurant Alani, Tbilisi, Georgia

Alani Tbilisi Reviews

SWFC_Fan SWFC_Fan
Good value Ossetian cuisine and fabulous beer! Mar 09, 2017
We ate at Restaurant Alani late one evening in February 2013 after having a soak in the nearby hot sulphur baths.

This Ossetian restaurant (Ossetian cuisine is pretty similar to Georgian as far as my untrained eyes and taste buds could tell) is located underground, on Gorgasali, between the hot sulphur bath complexes and Meidan Square.

We descended into the basement and found the familiar smoky atmosphere, bare brick walls and dark wooden furniture that we've encountered in cellar restaurants throughout eastern Europe. Unlike many of those restaurants, this one had a live band playing. A middle aged group of men provided a loud soundtrack that consisted mainly of Georgian music (I guess!), interspersed with more recognisable songs such as Gangnam Style and quite possibly the worst rendition of the Bee Gees' "How Deep is Your Love?" that I have ever heard!

It all made for a very noisy, conversation-drowning atmosphere. The restaurant was bustling; there were two or three large parties occupying the larger tables and quite a few of them were dancing on an impromptu dance floor between their tables.

The menu featured a familiar looking selection of dishes; khinkali dumplings, khachapuris, lobiani, grilled meats, veal, shkmeruli, ostri, shashlik. They may have been Ossetian variations, but to all intents and purposes they sounded the same as the Georgian dishes we'd been eating all week.

The menu was translated into English, but it was still a struggle to place our order. The problem was that, while the English translations were large enough to read, the Georgian script beneath was very small, so the waiter had difficulty reading it in the dimly lit room. It was further complicated by the fact that certain dishes didn't seem to be available (we were told that there were no khinkali dumplings available, but we saw them on other tables) and the loud music meant that we couldn't speak very clearly with the waiter.

We eventually managed to place our order. We started by sharing:

Aubergine in walnut sauce - Cost: 5.00 GEL / £2.00

A cold dish with 5 slices of aubergine smothered in walnut sauce and topped with pomegranate seeds.

We also shared a large basket of Georgian bread which, according to the receipt, we were only charged 1.00 GEL (£0.40) for. It was superb value for money.

I opted for:

Ossetian Khachapuri - Cost: 6.00 GEL / £2.40

Being in an Ossetian restaurant, I felt obliged to sample the Ossetian version of the khachapuris that I had become so fond of during our stay in Tbilisi. Once again, I was presented with an overwhelming portion of the stuff; 8 slices of flat bread stuffed with melted cheese and shredded potato. It was very nice, and was filling enough to constitute a main course in its own right.

Emma opted for:

Braised Veal - Cost: 8.00 GEL / £3.20

A bowl filled with veal in a meaty sauce and topped with herbs. The meat looked much too fatty for my liking, but Emma ate as much of it as she could. The meaty sauce was ideal for dipping the warm Georgian bread into.

To drink, we shared a bottle of wine:

Teliani Valley (Teluri Evropuli) - Cost: 10.00 GEL / £4.00 for a 750ml bottle

A nice Georgian dry white wine and remarkably good value for money.

I also had:

Alani beer - Cost: 2.00 GEL / £0.80 for 500ml

Brewed on site and much smoother than most of the beer that I drank in Georgia. This was probably the best beer I had in Tbilisi (or at least on a par with the wheat beer at Mirzaani Restaurant & Brewery!).

As usual in Tbilisi, a 10% service charge was automatically added to the bill.

Good value Ossetian cuisine, Georgian wine and fabulous beer. If only they'd turn the music down a bit! Recommended!
Restaurant Alani, Tbilisi, Georgia
Menu at Restaurant Alani, Tbilisi,…
Restaurant Alani, Tbilisi, Georgia
Alani Beer at Restaurant Alani, Tb…

Check Tbilisi Hotel Deals