Alafia River State Park

(813) 672-5320

Alafia River State Park Lithia Reviews

JohnBoricua JohnBori…
Mountain Bike Trails & More Aug 21, 2012
I have the good fortune of living less than an hour from this park. When I started getting into mountain biking, I searched the web for nearby parks to try to break a few bones. Much to my delight, I discovered Alafia River State Park.

This park not only has mountain bike trails but it, also, boast equestrian trails, hiking trails,and on the other side of the park are spaces for RV's for those of you that want to stay a while & unwind.

There is a $5 entry fee at the ranger gate. The rangers will gladly provide maps of the trails & park. Since I only use the bike trails, that's all I can review.

The trails have every range ... from green (beginner) to double black diamond (expert). It is highly recommended you wear a helmet. Trust me ... it's saved my head from a few bumps & bruises. I come to this park regularly. My brother & I loved coming here when he was still around. Whenever my cousin visits from NY he insists on me bringing him here.

I usually stick to the blue trails (intermediate). Sometimes, when I want a few new scars, I'll ride a black diamond trail. I do not suggest you ride alone. The trails can be a few miles long & if something happens to you in the trails you may not make it out. There are poisonous snakes, wild pigs, gators, & some mean spiders (just to name a few) as local residents. Do your best to avoid them all if you see them. Definitely bring a camel back or hydration. You will need it in the middle of the trails away from the parking lot.

On the weekends the trails get crowded & parking can be tight. Not only that but you will need to either keep riding or get out of the way as bikers will run right into you if you stop for too long, as some of the trails have limited visibility with the curves & steep inclines/drops.

There are bathrooms and water fountains. There is a bike wash station with hooks to hang your bike & hoses to wash it down. In the summer, it doubles as a shower to cool yourself off because it gets HOT out on the trails ... even with the shade. I enjoy riding here in the cooler winter months ... which in Tampa is perfect weather.

So come on down & shred some dirt. Your fellow riders share a common camaraderie. They will gladly chat it up & swap bike trail war stories with you.

I know for a fact that they are a caring populace because on July 2011 my brother & I were riding the trails when my brother had a heart attack. As I was tending to my brother & giving him CPR, over 20 riders stopped to help me. Some were right next to helping give CPR, others called 911, others went to the parking lot to show the rangers & ambulance where in the trails we were. They helped me load our bikes & gear so I could go to the hospital behind the police & ambulance. Everyone was great.

Visited July 2012

Compare Brandon Hotel Rates (14.6km away)

Alafia River State Park Map