Al Pont de Ferr

www.pontdeferr.it - 02 8940 6277

Al Pont de Ferr Milan Reviews

gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Small pieces of art for lunch Oct 21, 2014
Nikki and I had a long weekend in Milan in October 2014 and we decided to try out various restaurants. When I came across the web site of Al Pont de Ferr I was intrigued by the photos as the food looked like small pieces of art. Due to this we decided to book a table for lunch the day we were going home to Norway. We got there about 5 minutes early and I guess it was as they were about to start the lunch service as they were not quite prepared yet. The menu was a bit confusing as it had a few tasting menus, a la carte menu and some lunch dishes. I decided to go for a combination of a la carte menu and the lunch menu and I ordered red onion from Tropea filled with fresh goat cheese, pumpkin ravioli and tagliatelle al ragu. The waiter was of course a bit surprised that I wanted to pasta dished.

We first got a small amuse bouche and we did not quite catch what it was as the presentation happened so fast but it was two small balls served cold with a raspberry coating but they were not sweet as one might expect. And we also got some homemade yogurt and at the bottom there was “salted muesli”. We also got a great bread basket with various fresh bread and grissini.

When I got the starter I was also thrilled as I got the onion dish served on a huge see through plate – the onion dish itself had the same shape as the plate that it was served on. I have no idea how they manage to make this dish as the outer red crust broke as soon as I put my spoon into it. And it contained a lovely combination of goat cheese and sweet caramelized red onion. Nikki got a combination of gnocchi (in a way) served with shrimp and the gnocchi dish was also great. My first pasta dish was a more traditional dish – pumpkin ravioli. The pumpkin filling was sweet and it was great combined with the pasta and the butter sauce. As I’m a fan of ragu it was also great to taste Al Pont de Ferr version of this. The pasta was a bit salty maybe but the ragu was great in taste and had more of a dry texture – the way you see it made in Bologna. The wine menu is quite extensive as well but you can also get a house wine on a carafe.

As the main dishes had been great I decided to also go for dessert and I ordered the chocolate cigar. Again I got a dish that was presented in an amazing way…the chocolate cigar looked like a cigar as it was served in an ashtray with a piece of ice cream on the side – and if you look at the photo you can also see there is a glass in the background that is filled with smoke. It was a glass that was filled with cigarette/cigar smoke and there was a small hole in the plastic cover which allowed some of the smoke to escape.

All in all I was very impressed with the meal at Al Font de Ferr. The food was a great combination of beautiful presented dishes that looked like small pieces of art – and more traditional food such as ravioli and pasta ragu. If I go back to Milan again I would like to try out this place again…this time for a full dinner!
Chocolate cigar for dessert