Akshardham Temple

N. H. 24, New Delhi, India

Akshardham Temple New Delhi Reviews

saurabh saurabh
Beutiful temple with 3-level security Apr 04, 2012
I was traveling from Mumbai to Jim Corbett National Park; and to reach there we had to go through New Delhi. We had around 8-9 hours in New Delhi before our next train to Ramnagar.

In India, temples are hugely famous as tourist spots; especially amongst previous generations. The Akshardham temple in Delhi, however, is definitely a beautiful sight for every generation. Its a huge temple complex built right in Delhi city on banks of river Yamuna. It can be easily accessed by Delhi Metro; its around 10 minutes walking distance from a metro station. Architecturally, it is very nicely built with tall sikhara (mountain peaks) rising to mix with Delhi's mixed landscape. One distinct thing about Delhi is that there can be seen buildings of different sizes and styles built at various points of time along a long Indian historical timeline. This temple falls at a very recent point on that time axis. Its quite new relative to other huge temples in India. The complex is very nicely landscaped and makers of the temple have not restricted themselves from beautifying the compound.

The temple is dedicated to Swami Narayan. There are many robotic sound and light shows which takes one through his life and values of Swami Narayan dharma. Also, one can enjoy a small boat-trip which takes one through various cultural aspects of India which I felt was particularly nice. In the evening there is a light and fountain show which is OK. For someone who has watched such shows in West (like across Bellagio in Las Vegas) will not find this particularly fascinating but it still is quite fine. All these shows are minimally charged (~200 INR).

However, one very important thing to note is that all these shows are in Hindi and without English sub-titles. So I am not sure if there is much value for a person who does not understand Hindi to go to these shows. Please confirm with the temple administration about this though. I am not aware if they had some other solution for this issue.

Apart from the shows the place itself is very beautiful. There are nice lawns, ponds and temple buildings everywhere. There is also a restaurant and a gift shop inside. On a pleasant day one can easily spent couple hours at this place not including the shows. Add another 2 hours to watch those shows.

One thing about this temple is that to enter the temple you will have to go through 3 levels of security. You cant carry anything else except for a small purse and water. While entering I didn't feel as if I was entering into a place of worship but in a Government building where all VVIPs have been assembled. However, there is a reason behind this. One such temple was hijacked by terrorists few years ago and after that incidence all the big religious places in Indian have upped their security substantially. Even though I understand the reason behind all these measures is to ensure that such an incidence does not reoccur, I still didn't feel that peace and calm that I would expect from a spiritual place like a temple.

If we take that one thing out, visiting the temple can be a very nice experience and gets one acquainted with yet another value-systems of India. Just be prepared for all those security screenings.
puneetiitm puneetii…
Marvelous architecture! Jun 28, 2011
I was really amazed to see this place few months ago along with my European friends. It is one of the most interesting show of architecture i had ever seen! The place is grand and awesome. Whoever is traveling to India, I would highly recommend to visit this place. Go there in the evening and head for a nice dinner / PUB after that.

Related Travel Blogs About Akshardham Temple

Akshardham and Other Treasures in New Delhi!
AkshardhamThere is a temple in New Delhi called Akshardham. In my mind, it was much more amazing than the Taj Mahal, though new! If you get an opportunity, I would definitely take a day to spend in A…Akshardham There is a temple in New Delhi called Akshardham. In my mind, it was much more amazing than the Taj Mahal…
Day 3: Royal Haskoning and the Akshardham temple
Tuesday was the first day I was beginning to experience some problems with my stomach, even though I had been obsessed with washing my hands and drinking only mineral water in the first days. Our gro…Akshardham temple and as none of us had anything planned for the afternoon, we decided to visit it on our way back. Noida is on the other side…

Check New Delhi Hotel Deals