Akron Zoo

Akron Zoo - river otter

Akron Zoo Reviews

diisha392 diisha392
Good regional zoo Jul 24, 2013
Not as large as the Cleveland or Pittsburgh zoos, the Akron Zoo is its own regional destination. We spent about two hours there to see the lions, tigers, bears, and many other animals. Finding a parking space was pretty easy for us although when we left people seemed to be having more difficulty. Purchasing tickets was a quick process (it might have helped that we arrived within the first hour of the zoo opening).

I was excited to see penguins as soon as we entered the zoo itself; however, the pathways felt a little tight through here. There were extra tents and tables up for a backpack and school supplies give-away so that may have contributed to the narrowness.

The zoo was easy to navigate. We didn’t really have to make choices about where to go; the zoo’s layout naturally flowed from one part to another. We were able to see everything without backtracking which I appreciated.

The zoo was clean and well-kept. The paths were well-maintained, no potholes! There were three places to get food. The Komodo Kingdom Café was the largest but definitely had a line around lunch.

I really liked the exercise stations placed throughout the zoo. We didn’t do any sit-ups or pull-ups, but I thought the stations were a wonderful idea.

I would definitely recommend this zoo for a half day visit. For families with young children, I think this zoo would be a great introduction one. There were at least three play areas for kids, a farm area where visitors could feed the animals, and a train and carousel (for an extra fee). Strollers are available for rent. You can bring your own food and drink into the zoo. I think kids would love the tube slide in the new addition of Grizzly Ridge; this slide cut right through the water part of the river otter enclosure. Erin and I saw a little girl slide down just as an otter swam over the slide.
penguin