Akita – Sushi & Hibachi

Akita – Sushi & Hibachi - bar

Akita – Sushi & Hibachi Woodbury Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
All You Can Eat, Made to Order, Sushi Buffet! Oct 29, 2010
Akita Sushi and Hibachi is a unique sushi place in the Twin Cities because they offer a made-to-order, all you can eat menu. They offer a variety of options to order and if you sit at the bar, you can watch the food being prepared.

We went for the lunch buffet, so the menu was slightly limited from the dinner menu, but still offered PLENTY of food. We ordered: edemame, spicy tuna and spicy salmon sushi, chicken and beef terriyaki, crab tempura, crab udon noodles, cucumber & avacado rolls. It was all very delicious! I ordered the udon noodle soup by mistake and would much rather have eaten the fried udon noodles. Sashimi is only available for dinner, as well as some different sushi, rolls, and teppanyaki.

The lunch buffet was $15 and the dinner buffet is $25. It seems a little expensive, but it is easy to eat more than that, price wise, when ordering it individually. Ordering the buffet is a great way to try new and different things. You can order the hand rolls individually - it is a rice ball with some fish, crab, or eel on top. This way you can try one and order more if you like it and not waste a 6 roll order if you didn't like it. Children under 9 are $1/year of age.

I'm not a huge sushi fan, but I really enjoyed this place and really enjoyed the food. It is similar to how they ordered in Japan when I was there - lots of little plates of things to share. Our server was very pleasant, answered all of our questions and frequently came by to take additional orders or refill drinks.

Some reviews from 2008, when the restaurant first opened, were not very promising. But I think they got things figured out now and we had no problems at all. It was very busy at lunch and there were no tables available, so we sat at the bar. I got a great view of the cooks preparing the sushi. I was surprised at how busy it was. I didn't know that many people like sushi here.

The restaurant is easy to find off I-494 at Tamarack Road on the east side of the Twin Cities, about 15-20 minutes from St. Paul and a little farther from Minneapolis.
Akita front