Akebono II

4960 Freeport Blvd, Sacramento, CA, USA

Akebono II Sacramento Reviews

poohstanggt poohstan…
Best Neighborhood Sushi! Jul 27, 2008
After a year of searching for the perfect neighborhood sushi place in Sacramento, I finally found Akebono II back a couple months ago. The first time in we met "Jimmy" who is the head sushi chef and now my journey is complete - I have my spots in LA, Vegas, and now Sacramento.

Akebono II opened late in 2007 and has received a number of rave reviews by the Sacramento Bee Newspaper and SN&R which is how we ran across them.

Sushi in Northern California is pretty trendy with most people liking the places that serve a variety of rolls. Although they have a good selection of rolls, they are known for a huge selection of nigiri. They have some very unique types of fish that I have not seen at other sushi bars. Some of my favorites are the Albacore Toro, Baby Octopus, Kanpachi (Amberjack) and Butterfish. They feature King Salmon when available, pink snapper, and baby Hamachi. And if you like it hot, they usually have fresh chopped wasabi, just have to ask!

The pieces of nigiri are very large which is somewhat hard to find at sushi places sometimes - it seems like the rice usually is the same size as the fish covering it! LOL. The nigiri pieces are huge, often more than one biteful!

The head chef Jimmy is awesome and will make you whatever you want, whether it's on the menu or not. He has a lot of hidden specials that the other chefs are not even aware of so do not be afraid to ask him to make something "special"!

We visited Jimmy again tonight and he has a new one he made for all our group that he calls the "Green Octopus". It is some type of tempura battered leaf (somewhat like a mint leaf) stuffed with cream cheese and spicy tuna I believe and then topped with a slice of sashimi, a small slice of jalapeno, and caviar tobiko and then fried in the tempura batter. OMG, this was absolutely heavenly!

I also saw Ankimo (Monkfish live pate) on their speciality board so I asked Jimmy how they serve the sashimi version of it and he confirmed it was made fresh there and served with a complimentary sauce. Ankimo is definitely not for the novice sushi eater (if you like Uni/Sea Urchin you will probably like Ankimo) but it is strong. The varying sauces can cut the the strong flavor of the pate, creating a nice balance.

To update, I went again on Monday night as well and we tried a couple new things but I do not have enough space to post all the pictures as I've reached my 10 limit! LOL. I may post an accompanying blog entry to ensure I get all the delicious things featured!

I love this sushi place and after a year of trying all the trendy joints in town, I am thrilled I finally found a place I can call "home"! :-)
Albacore Toro
Escalor - Super White Tuna
Stuffed mushrooms - with scallops …
Kanpachi (Amberjack) and Pink Snap…
fivepointpalm says:
i will check this one out for sure!
Posted on: Sep 11, 2008