Airship Ventures

Mountain View, California

Airship Ventures Mountain View Reviews

portia portia
A ride in an airship in California Jun 20, 2010
Some people have always wanted to ride in the zeppelin (a dirigible, rigid airship, not a blimp), even though I was not one of them, my husband was, and wanted to have a ride as his birthday present. So I went along, booked a short (shortest) flight above the Silicon Valley. A 30 minute ride for $199 each, not cheap, but definitely one of a kind.

There are 2 zeppelins available for passenger flights, one in Germany, and the other one is here in California. They offer tours in Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco, Monterey too, and occasionally a flight between Los Angeles and Mountain View.

Getting on and off the airship was interesting because they don't actually land, a wheeled ladder gets attached to the airship, and the bottom is NOT on the ground, but sort of float about. They gave a briefing before the flight and told us about this and how to get on and off in pairs of two people. Two people get off, two people get on.

During our flight there were an elderly man, who needed a hand, but otherwise no problem getting on or off.

The airship was spacious for 12 passengers, 1 pilot and one flight attendent. Everyone gets a window (and aisle) seat at a BIG window, great for viewing the outside. There is also a huge rear window which has a window seat, and you can look straight down! There are 2 small openable windows in the cabin too, and they encourage people to look out, stick their hand/head/camera out too. Even the bathroom had a big window! It was a little windy on the day of our flight, so I did get a little dizzy from walking around, and taking pictures. But for the most part, it is a smooth flight, and a fun one. It's a unique way to get a view from above, and although I am not sure I want to do it again soon, I think most people would enjoy it at least once. A 30 minute ride actually gives a pretty good tour, and we did not feel rushed. Although I am sure a 60 minute tour of San Francisco would give you a lot more to see.
Getting on the airship