Airline: Iran Air

Yazd, Iran

Airline: Iran Air Yazd Reviews

alexchan alexchan
Sep 20, 2005
Woke early to take my flight from Mashhad back to Tehran, then connecting to Yazd, the centre of Zoroastrian religion.  I love Iran Air ... fares are cheap; the English PA starts with “In the name of God the compassionate and merciful, a very good morning ladies and gentlemen”.  Cute eh!

Iran Air doesn't do connections at its Tehran Mehrabad hub ... they require you to book a ridiculously long connection time at Tehran.

I had this all planned, so I booked a long connection and went up to the counter upon arrival into Tehran and requested an earlier connection to Yazd.  The flight was full but they put me on standby and gave me the last seat ... probably because I was a foreigner.

The flight to Yazd was on a F100 jet which looked brand new inside (impossible as Fokker folded ages ago). The purser sat next to me and gave me a running commentary of the scenery along the way ... the single front jumpseat was taken by the inflight guard (a feature of all Iran Air flights). Iranian hospitality meant that I couldn't leave the aircraft without gifts of beer, nuts and kiddie pack.

Most domestic flights are very short and drinks and biscuits or pistachios are served ... quite adequate.

Some interesting snippets for aircrew amongst you:

* Female crew still wear their headscarves when overseas, say in Amsterdam. That's because the guards travel and stay at the same hotel. They're not just any guards but Revolutionary Guards who are the keepers of the Islamic Revolution of 20+ years ago.

* Some pursers do nothing through the flight except for instructional PAs to the flight attendants (eg. landing stations please; disarm and cross-check). The passenger PAs are handled by the 2IC.

* However, pursers on narrow-bodies are flight attendants on widebodies and I've seen them work their butt off on the widebodied Airbus. Altogether he works 5 aircraft types and 7 sub-types.

Amanda says:
Very interesting and good to know! Thank you!!
Posted on: Dec 17, 2006