Afrika Oase

www.afrikaoase.no - +47 40 57 10 13

Afrika Oase Tromso Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
An exotic experience in traditional Tromsø Oct 03, 2013
Afrika Oase is located in the boat house at Skansen. Skansen is believed to have been a fortification constructed in the mid 1200s by Håkon Håkonsson. It could even have been as old as from the 1000s. The fortification was originally surrounded by a moat. Africa Oase is run by lovely Rose Simba from Rwanda.

We have been to Afrika Oase twice, one time just after they opened in 2011 and now in 2013. The first time was a coincidence. We were in Tromsø on a Sunday and discovered that my favorite restaurant was closed (as most are on Sundays in this town). The girl in the reception at our hotel said that Africa Oase was open. It was new so she didn't know it, but we decided to try.

The restaurant was small with a few tables and seating outside in the sommer. The furniture was a bit sparse. The boat house has a fireplace and is made of logs and charming in itself, but the atmosphere lacked something. I know that there are very stricken rules to what you can do to a grade II listen house, but it would have made a great difference just with some African masks on the walls and wooden furniture.

In 2011 the menu was an interesting mix of typical local ingredients mix with African meat and recipe. It had lots of interesting things, most of which we had no idea what were. We ordered different things and were pleasantly surprised. To drink we couldn't decide between a great celection of fruit juice. Rose said to wait before we decided. She brought out a big tray with little mugs with all the different juices, so we could try. What a nice gesture.

I was wandering why there wasn't a smell of food since the kitchen was semi open. Every now and then we heard a little "pling". I suspect that some of the food was already prepared and was reheated in the microwave. The food was served quickly and was very tasty. When Rose served us, she also informed us which African country the different dishes came from. I tried various things and they were all lovely. It was my first time eating pheasant.

This time the menu was smaller and with much less African game meat. It seems like they are going towards Norwegian fish and meat cooked with African recipe. This is due to restrictions to what you can import from Africa to Norway. You can still get anthilope though. I had a chicken ragout, chicken with vegetables in maffa (peanut). A dish from Mali and very tasty indeed. To drink I had a ginger juice. They also serve beer, white and red wine as well as champagne. The interior had been changed a bit too.

Both times we have been there, we have been the only guests. The location is not in the middle of town and a little out of the way. It's only a 5 minutes walk from the city centre, but still. I guess they must have some guests since they are still in business after 2 years. I really hope that more people will come, because Afrika Oase is a great concept, has lovely service and good food. In this little traditional town, the menu might be a bit too colourful!

Afrika Oase also offer catering service and lunch boxes. At the time of writing they have just started to make their own sauces, which you can buy. I tried a very interesting one, berries mix with onion. Great sauce for reindeer, goat and halibut. The restaurant is avenrage priced for Norway, while the anthilope is on the expensive side at $69.

I can recommend Afrika Oase for a different dinner experience. They have made nice progress in the two years they have exsisted. The food is lovely presented and they manage to keep the home cooked tast to it.

Opening hours are: Monday-Saturday 11 am - 10 pm, Sunday 3 pm - 9 pm.
Pheasant
Salad
gingerbatik says:
looks yummy. probably I should go there since I never been to Norway.
Posted on: Oct 03, 2013