African Trails

Africa

African Trails Reviews

tridantri tridantri
African Trails Overland Company Nov 30, 2009
I joined the tour in Nairobi and travelled down to Johannesburg, South Africa. Along the way we passed through Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia and Botswana and saw some of the most incredible things in theses countries, such as the Serengeti National Park, the Ngorongo crater, Zanzibar, Victoria Falls and the Okavango Delta. There were of course some problems along the way, such as corrupt officials and minor problems with the truck (to be expected given the condition of the roads) but our driver dealt with these with confidence.

The equipment African Trails provided was great. The two man tents were spacious and if it was not raining the fly sheet could be left off, which made the tent much cooler. The inner was essentially a mosquito net so when we were camping in places where there were wild animals around it was possible to sit in the tent and watch them. One night I was able to watch a hippo eating the grass about 20m from my tent.

The truck was roomy and comfortable. It had forward facing seats and the sides could be rolled up, which kept the truck cool and gave us chance to watch the passing scenery without obstructions. There was also plenty of space for all our luggage and all the doors and compartments could be locked when needed.

There are many other companies that offer similar tours but other that a few extra luxuries, like beds rather than tents and proper cooks as opposed to cooking your own meals there is no difference in the tours other than the massive amount of extra money you pay to other companies. This is probably the main reason why I would recommend African Trails.

I have written more about what overlanding is like and what to expect in my blog, so I won't repeat it here.
Mam-Malaika says:
I was in Tanzania & Malawi last summer. I hope you enjoyed you're journey.

Posted on: Dec 09, 2010