Aerial tour of Fraser Island

Aerial tour of Fraser Island - Sand dunes

Aerial tour of Fraser Island Reviews

Airportman Airportm…
Flight over Fraser Island Aug 11, 2009
During the tour of Fraser Island, we were driving on the beach, when a plane landed further away, The bus driver then stopped and let the pilot get on the bus.

The pilot, member of Air Fraser Island, offered us a 10 minute flight over Fraser Island, with a change to spot some whales in the ocean, for a price of 70 AUS dollars (around 50 euros or around 70 US dollars).

Martin and I discussed if we should do it or not, the price did sounded pretty expensive, but we went ahead and took a flight. And I must admit that the flight was well worth it.

First of all, there is the take off from the beach. Then the flight takes you along the coastal line and over the island. We got to see the sand dunes, the various fresh water lakes and the rainforest. Unfortunately there were no whales spotted.

And of course there was the landing on the beach. A bit bumpy, but otherwise smooth. All in all it was a great flight.

The plane used was a Gippsland GA8 Airvan and it's not the biggest of planes. So for tall people, seating can become a problem. I'm 193cm/6'4" and I had to keep my knees folded for the duration of the flight. It wasn't bad, but it's a heads up.
Taking off