Aen 't Water - café bar

Aen 't Water - café bar - The terrace at the waterside

Aen 't Water - café bar Amsterdam Reviews

ik-ben-10eke ik-ben-1…
One of the many bars in this part of town Aug 23, 2010
After having bought a new left handed guitar we walked back to the station by "de Wallen", oldest part of Amsterdam. Sun was shining on this nice summer day, and we felt we would sit down on one of the many terraces with a drink.

A lot of people had the same idea so the streets looked very cozy, vivid, lively. But to find a free table wasn't that easy. Many terraces are very small in these streets (some with just two benches without a table) simply because streets here are very narrow. But on the terrace of the cafe-bar "Aen 't Water" we found some free places.

Aen 't Water means "at the water(side)", and located at the Oude Zijds Voorburgwal this name is suitable. Many boats sailed at the canal since it is Sail 2010.

At this bar they only served two beers on draught, but never mind, the weather was nice, so who cared. Besides, they had a selection of beers in bottles.

While we were discussing what beer to order, (they had a nice white, but unfortunately this was not on draught), the waitress came to our table, and tried to help us with our order. It may seem odd, but she started to talk to us in German, on which my face was somehow puzzled, so she immediately switched to English. Now I can imagine with Amsterdam loaded with tourists from abroad it is convenient to speak some languages, but... I am Dutch, and this maybe odd, but I refuse to put my order in any other language than Dutch in my own country, so I questioned her if she could not speak Dutch, and told her we wanted a coke and a Kriek, which she wrote down without saying anything. I was still puzzled whether she could speak Dutch...

I need to say she was the only staff member serving outside the cafe, and it was very busy - about 15-20 tables if I am not mistaken, all fully occupied - but she returned soon with our drinks, telling us the price, and off she went to serve another table, returning after a few minutes to collect the money.

It turned out she could speak dutch, and I wonder why she talked in German and English; considering my husband was born in Amsterdam and he speaks with a slight Amsterdam accent LOL

My opinion on this place is it is nothing special, but okay if you want a drink, and look at all the people on the streets.
Cafe-bar Aen 't Water
The beers they served
Kriek for me, and a coke of husband
The terrace at the waterside
Cho says:
I had the more or less the same experience in Lloret del Mar, Spain. Nearly all the staff in cafes, bars and entertainment venues were from Britain. Even the touts who approached you in the streets trying to sell tickets to a show spoke in English. I wondered at that time where all the locals (Spanish) were.
Posted on: Jul 02, 2013
Glynnes says:
Nice review. Thanks!
Posted on: Aug 23, 2010
Biedjee says:
Finding staff in Amsterdam who can speak Dutch is becoming increasingly difficult :-)
Posted on: Aug 23, 2010