Advice about South America

South America

Advice about South America Reviews

salome1627 salome16…
kidnapping at the airports Jun 30, 2011
when you travel by yourself be aware of airports in South America. I was flying to Buenos Aires and was almost kidnapped at the airport. The strange looking guy was pretending to be my taxi driver from the hotel I booked. I read a lot about kidnappings just before my trip and he didn't have any card with my name on. The other man came and they wanted to take me out of the airport. I started looking at the police desperately and they intervened. These 2 guys got arrested. I got really luck. Please be careful and always get the public taxi.
babtakie babtakie
Sep 24, 2007
Well, you've had lots of Packing lists already so I´ll go to the "dangers" Point:

Brazil: Beautiful but probably the place where you need to be more careful. Basically the streets at night are quite dangerous, specially if you're alone or with a small group. Most taxis are reliable, so I'd advise you to go for them instead of walking. Distances are long, specially in big cities such as Rio and Sao Paulo, so walking is a not a very good idea. If you go to the beach, please be very careful and never leave your things unattended, you´ll lose them if you do. Be careful also with groups of children who might round you.

Argentina and Chile: are probably the least dangerous places of the lot you'll visit.

If you ever get lost in Chile or simply need directions you can definitely trust the Policemen you find at most streets in Santiago. They are very friendly and reliable.

The Tube in Santiago is just awesome, you'll love it.

Nightlife is good in Chile if you know where to go, if you're in Santiago you must try Barrio Bellavista, Barrio Ñuñoa and Barrio Suecia. Streets are not really dangerous at night, there's usually lots of people around, and if they are not, get a taxi. Taxis in Chile are way more expensive than the rest of South America. Actually Santiago is quite expensive compared to the rest of the countries you are visiting. Never like UK though. For nice and cheap hostels, I recommend: www.hihostels.com

Peru and Bolivia: Careful with the water and the food, you dont want to get ill there. Make sure you pack some pills for the stomack ache and try not to buy any food on the streets. In Peru, try to go to Cusco, you'll love it, South of Bolivia is beautiful too.

Good luck and have fun!!
HuBison says:
I had this problem in Rio; do police officers in Santiago speak English (although my Spanish is better than my Portugues)?
Posted on: Jul 06, 2011