Advice & Security

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Advice & Security Rio de Janeiro Reviews

HuBison HuBison
The police do not speak much English Apr 09, 2012
My friend and I thought we would be able to get away with our limited Spanish, but we discovered the hard way, that it is nothing like Portuguese.

Avoid serious problems and safety issues so you never have to talk to the police. Their English is very limited and they may be of no use if you have to dsecribe something that happended to you in the middle of the street (I have no idea what kind of accomodations are available at the station).

My friend works in law enforcement and so I guess one of the things she does when she travels is swapping patches. It took us 45 minutes to explain to the cop that she wanted to swap her American uniform patch for one of was one big headache. But he stood for the whole conversation, guess he wasn't really doing his job or heading off anywhere important.

Admittedly, in the evenings, we see them just about everywhere and they even had a station on Ipanema beach, but we didn't see them wandering along Copacabana (although we did walk past a station).
cabotono cabotono
Oct 18, 2005
Rio offers so much for so little. Can be considered over rated for some people? Rio is a city with such cultural variety. You need to be aware of your surroundings but like every city just be careful and use common scence. Just listen to the hotels recommendations and avoid the dangerous places. The tourist area of Rio is safe as any of the big city.

Check Rio de Janeiro Hotel Deals