Adelaide Hostel and Hotel

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals

Adelaide Hostel and Hotel San Francisco Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Adelaide Hostel Dec 27, 2012
Adelaide Hostel is real favorite in my USA hostels book. As many of the hostels in US, this place is organized to collect backpackers, families (usually international) that are going for cheaper stay, but there is no people that are using it as a cheap housing (which is a case in few other US hostels I have been). There is plenty of rooms all over the hostel with large range of options. All rooms I have seen have sink with mirror in the room, and they are equipped with sturdy metal beds and good lockers. Most of the rooms also have large windows covered with heavy curtains that stop any, even a smallest ray of light that is trying to call the morning. Tick carpet brings some warmth to your feet and very clean sheets make you fall asleep like baby. I was surprised how warm the room was, because whole wall is a window and San Francisco is not really famous for warm days or nights.

Location is very central, just couple of blocks from Union Square, 4-5 blocks from nearest Bart Station and close to walk to China Town or to cool areas around Polk and Van Ness streets. Various food options are all over the place, with my favorite Asian cuisine (Thai and Vietnamese food) as one of most common in the area. What I love about this area is kind of lounge style bars and restaurants with local crowd filling them every night.

Hostel has large living room area with stylish and comfortable couches and bunch of desktop computers for all that don’t have other way to access internet. You can also print out anything you need for small fee. Kitchen area is in the basement, where you also have washer and drier and couple big dormitories.

One of the biggest assets of this hostel is great breakfast, which is included in price of stay. Big kitchen island in the middle of the room serves as a table for all kinds of bagels, breads, spreads, bunch of fruit… They even have Nutela in unlimited quantities . Usually they have something hot for breakfast, and bunch of serials for all of you that like that stuff. Coffee is strong and juices come in variety of colors and tastes. Kitchen tables are tight and perfect for meeting people that wake up for breakfast. Large TV gives you news and anything else that you’ll like to watch.

I usually stay on the second floor where you get by climbing very steep stairs. On the floor there are bunch of showers and restrooms, and you won’t wait any time to get in.

Hostel is in the little alley on Taylor St, and bunch of cameras are monitoring all ways to enter the area, and 24h reception works like good security booth.

I paid anywhere from 20 to 35 dollars to use their dormitories, depending of the time of the year and how full they were. For the past few years I been always hanging at this place, and still did not even think of changing it. Warmly recommended.
Glynnes says:
Thanks for sharing your review.
Posted on: Dec 30, 2012
vickie-lou vickie-l…
Amazing atmosphere and very friendly Sep 26, 2011
The hostel is situated at the end of a sinister looking alleyway but once you get inside the atmosphere is so laid back and friendly that the location really doesn't matter (and despite the alley, it's only 2 blocks away from Union Square, cable cars and buses which is great!) The free breakfasts are fantastic and the $6 dinners are huge and great value for money (the lasagne was yum). The lounge and dining room have free wifi access and are so chilled out it's really easy to talk to other travellers and staff. The only negative maybe are the beds, they could use a bit of updating and some WD-40 to stop the creaking - the showers are nice and the staff are fantastic with everything!
saltycoco says:
wow the rooms look cleaner and better in that hostel. i stayed in san francisco international hostel just for a night, and it's easily the worst and dirtiest hostel i've been in. been meaning to right a review about that lol :)
Posted on: Oct 02, 2011
clowboy clowboy
Backpackers in San Fran Oct 26, 2011
Personally I found this hostel very over rated. The room I stayed in was not very well ventilated and in order to not have it as a sweat box the window had to remain open the whole time which made it very noisy from the street. I only got 4 hours sleep on one night and I have stayed in a lot of backpackers and it takes quite a bit to keep me up. The bathrooms were smaller than some of the bathrooms in places like Hong Kong, which isn't so much of a problem but worthy of note. They were clean enuff but rather old and grubby, bleaching the showers would help, also I only used two of the showers, one was ok, the other had no pressure at all and came to a trickle after about 60 seconds. On the second day of my stay here the wifi was barley functioning (to many users). It is a social enough hostel but everyone in the social areas is generally on laptops, the socialness of a hostel can depend a lot on who is there at the time, so of more importance is the layout which was good imo.

Breakfast was pretty decent, a good assortment of jams and bagels and toast, coffee with real milk (always very important) and fruit salad. I think served until 10am.

Lockers for each bed (at least in my dorm), I stayed in a 6 bed dorm.

I guess the biggest issue for this place for me was the price, the advertised rate of $27.50 does not include taxes and as such the total nightly rate came out at about $30.50. While I have not yet stayed in any other hostels this place is rated at around 80% and other hostels rated at 90+% are around the same price (as they include taxes).

If you have earplugs (I do not like them) and can therefore get a good nights sleep it is not the worst place to stay but it is not worth the $30+ you pay for the privelige.

I return to San Fran shortly and plan to give somewhere else a try. The two friends I stayed with only stayed one night and are perhaps a little less critical than me but also agree we should try somewhere else on our return.
karen7 karen7
cute little hostel in the middle of the town Jul 16, 2009
I loved it:) I was on a 6 week trip and this was the onyl night I had to stay in a hostel. Besides missing the little street the first time I passed it and walked all the way up the hill it was great. Really close to everything - enjoyed it. the staff was really cool and friendly. the offers for dinner were good and they had towels for rent. all in all I enjoyed my stay in the 11 bed mixed room. the lounge was sweet to hang out and they had free internet access. all in all: AMAZING
the kitchen of the hostel, availab…
some members of the staff and the …

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals