Addo Main Rest Camp

Check Addo Hotel Deals

Addo Main Rest Camp Reviews

kellyyyz kellyyyz
The perfect safari sleep. Mar 14, 2010
Wow, I'm not sure where to begin. Staying at Addo Elephant National Park was one of the best experiences I've ever encountered. I rented one of the cottages at the Main Camp which was just walking distance to all of the camp's amenities: restaurant, general store, gift shop, gas pump (petrol station), and wildlife viewing spots. The main entrance into the game park was also around a few bends. The game park was one of the greatest places I've been to in my lifetime with the most concentrated number of elephants living together in all of the world. Sleeping nearby was a must for me. The cottages and chalets are very close to the fences of the game park, a park that is 164 000 hectares in size and is expected to expand to 360 000 hectares shortly. (I haven't even mentioned the 120 000 hectare marine park because I would never get to the end of this review if I got started on it.) There is a point to all of this, which is that after incredible drives into the game park I was very glad to have booked an accommodation close by on site.

The cottage was charming with some safari touches such as roof rafters made of wooden logs with a thatch roof made of twigs. There was a gorgeous porch and braai pit around to the side, complete with cast iron pot for some Afrikaans stewing. And who would have thought that safari camps provided housekeeping! The Neighbouring cottages and chalets were close by but they were strategically placed apart to provide an adequate amount of privacy, except from the bugs. Once again, I must bring up the bugs; I found around the camp: Giant flightless dung beetles, tok-tokkies (beetles), millipedes, incredibly hungry spiders and stick bugs, OH MY! But I didn't whine or complain, as it didn't matter that much while being planted somewhere in the middle of the South African Bushveld, with nothing but greenery outside my windows and sounds of spotted hyenas, jackals and lions all yelping, howling and feeding on prey in the darkness, while I lay in my bed.

Check Addo Hotel Deals