Gulia Street, Sokhumi, Georgia

Abkhazian State Museum Sokhumi Reviews

maykal maykal
Abkhazian State Museum Jul 05, 2016
Directly opposite the entrance to the Botanical Gardens is the Abkhazian State Museum, although the entrance is round the back of the building in a shady park. For a couple of hundred Russian Rubles, you'll be handed a ticket and shown into the first of many ground floor rooms with exhibits on the flora and fauna of Abkhazia, some relics from ancient times, and a room all about geology. For me, having been to several similar museums where everything is labelled well and in a language I can understand, this museum didn't really entertain me much as everything was written in Russian only (that's not necessarily a criticism on the lack of English, as I don't expect a museum in a place attracting mainly Russian tourists to cater for the handful who can't speak Russian, but it just meant I didn't spend much time there!). The second floor was more interesting, as it contained displays on Abkhaz culture and the recent conflicts, with some quite graphic black and white photos on show. Again, I wish I could have understood the explanations. Perhaps this museum is somewhere to bring an interpreter.
Abkhazian State Museum Map