Aberdaron

Rhiw, Wales

Aberdaron Rhiw Reviews

davidx davidx
Porth Ysgo and Mynydd Penarfynydd Sep 10, 2010
There are three coastal areas in Wales that for me are about equal in terms of beauty; the Pembrokeshire Coast. Gower and Lleyn. I have a favourite beach in each and Porth Ysgo is my favourite in Lleyn. I can't judge between it and the other two. On the other hand I can certainly say that Mynydd Penarfynnydd is my favourite Welsh headland.

We used to stay in an old caravan in a field near the huge beach of Hell's Mouth west of Plas yn Rhiw and we never tired of visiting these free attractions. Mynydd Penarfynnydd extends southwards from the village of Rhiw. There are numerous paths, all beautiful, but our favourite was to keep to the top of the headland. 'Cornish' choughs could always be watched here, even during the long period when they were extinct in Cornwall (they have recently returned.) We have also watched peregrine falcons and kestrels in the air and gren woodpeckers and stoats on the ground.

Why do I rate Porth Ysgo so high when that great beach at Hell's Mouth is so close? Beaches should not be judged slely bu acreage any more tan mountains should e judged merely by height. Shape is all important but here there is an additional appeal, remains of a tramway that used to take metals down to the port.

Bouldering is not my scene but I do to look at boulderers here in what is a great spot for them. I have given a website with only pictures but it may persuade you that I am not mad in choosing these two places. Incidentally dd in Welsh is roughly the same as th as in thin.

Compare Abersoch Hotel Rates (9km away)

Aberdaron Map