Abela sleeper train from Cairo to Luxor

Abela sleeper train from Cairo to Luxor - So.. I probably could have taken better photos! Little wardrobe compartment and the circular thing pulls out to show a mirror/sink/shelf :)
Abela sleeper train from Cairo to Luxor - my lovelyy sleeper train dinner <3

Abela sleeper train from Cairo to Luxor Reviews

Melissa-D Melissa-D
Abela sleeper train from Cairo to Luxor Sep 09, 2010
I thought I'd write a review about this because when I was actually planning my trip through Egypt I found it so difficult finding information about travelling between cities! Of course, you can get internal flights from Cairo to Luxor but these are suprisingly, extremely expensive!

An Abela sleeping train costs $60 each way, the journey takes around 9 hours and this price includes breakfast and dinner. You have your own private cabin which is extremely comfortable to say that you are on a train! The cabin consists of a sofa which is quickly transformed into a bed after eating with an above compartment which is pulled out to make the second bunk. The cabins are air-conditioned and you have your own little wardrobe section, plug point and sink/mirror.

You have to use a shared train toilet which, to be honest isn't the most pleasant thing in the world but it could have been worse! A train steward will wake you up for breakfast and then let you know when you arrive at your destination. As internal flights are so expensive, and you cannot travel through central Egypt otherwise without an armored convoy, this really is the best way to travel between cities. You will notice a lot of other travellers and Westerners use this service so you do feel very safe :) and it is a great way of seeing the Egyptian countryside!

So the nitty gritty details? You cannot book your journey in advance, i.e. from your home country, your reservation must be done at the Ramses square station in Cairo (or whatever train station you are starting your journey at), so go a couple of days before you intend to travel to secure your place on the train. You cannot pay for your train tickets in Egyptian pounds, payments must be made in Euros, GBP or USD.. why, I have no idea!

The train is very comfortable and the journey was enjoyable. You have a button you can press to order drinks and food from the stewards at any time or there is a bar on board if you prefer to mingle with the locals and other backpackers.

Of course, you can also use this service for journeys to places such as Alexandria and Aswan (definately worth a visit if you have the time!) and it is a great, affordable way to explore this beautiful country.

Safe travels :)
So.. I probably could have taken b…
my lovelyy sleeper train dinner <3
Eric says:
Thanks for sharing your tips!
Posted on: May 05, 2011
Transitory Transito…
Abela sleeper train from Cairo to Luxor Apr 11, 2009
There are many alternatives to get from Cairo to Luxor, there's a plane, cruise, prob. you could hire a car, and lastly, the Abela sleeper.

Abela tix can be purchased online but I had my hostel arrange my ticket purchase which was $60 for Cairo to Luxor; dinner and breakfast included in the first-class sleeper car.

The meals were pretty good, mild but not bland, decent food. The staff was very thoughtful, they wrapped up our complimentary breakfast as we rushed to get off the train b/c we nearly missed our stop to get off in Luxor. They could've easily just let us leave w/o bkfst, instead of inconveniencing themselves with the bother to get us bkfst. Also, the blankets seemed clean and the beds were comfortable.

The only criticism was the toilet, which was fairly smelly. I ended up never using it at all. I cleaned up what I could force myself to with anti-bacterial wipes, and then changed my mind altogether. But I'm a bit finicky, so use your own judgment if you want to take a sleeper car, it's not a horrible way to travel for a day.

Transitory says:
Mine was actually not bad, *shrugs,* hit or miss meals during transportation I s'pose
Posted on: Aug 01, 2009
hlek says:
yeah, bed is pretty comfy and clean (went above my expectation). the food served was not great though (steamed potatoes, semi hard bun & tasteless rice for dinner & many types of bread for bfast)...haha
Posted on: Aug 01, 2009
herman_munster says:
LOL:) that Traveler VS Tourist debate was fun!!

I couldn't hold 'it' when the time comes so yeah nice experience.
Posted on: Jul 17, 2009