AsiaJapanTokyoTokyo Tips

All over Japan, Tokyo, Japan

ATM's In Japan Tokyo Reviews

LeoLiang LeoLiang
Citibank ATMs in Tokyo, Osaka Jun 04, 2011
I visited Japan in November of 2011 with a citibank ATM card. In Tokyo, I tried using about 20-30 ATMs and found that only a handful of them worked with my card. One of which was in a 7-11 right outside the Akihabara JR station.

In Osaka, I tried around 20 ATMs and none of them worked! I had to visit a Citibank building to get cash.
aussielivinginjapan aussieli…
Apr 20, 2003
If you have a credit, debit or other kind of ATM card that has been issued outside of Japan then ATM's (Automatic Teller Machines) in Japan do not accept these cards.

However, post offices and 7 Elevn convienience stores have English user menus and will take cards that have been issued outside of Japan. The cards they accept are Visa, Visa Plus, Mastercard, Maestro, Cirrus, American Express and JCB cards.

Depending on the size of the post office will depend on if the service is available. It must be a major post office. The hours vary too but as a general rule Sundays and public holidays the ATM's are close.

Before you leave home check that your card can be accept by international ATM's.

Also notify your bank and tell them you will be using your card overseas and check with your bank if there are any fees, also ask about the daily limit and mostly make sure that you know what your card's 4 digit pin number is.

The ATM's in Japan only accept cards with a 4 digit pin number.
leonardj83 says:
I traveled to Tokyo only, but I had no problem with ATMs. All the major banks of Japan easily gave me cash with no fees using my Citibank and Wellsfargo cards. I do have the 4 digit pin number. I think recently they accepted international cards.
Posted on: May 13, 2009
RoLLoN says:
thnx for the tips..:D
Posted on: Jan 28, 2008
3rdman says:
Thanks so much for your guides!!!! what about using your card in store? like when your at the checkout and use your card then, what will they charge me?
Posted on: Jul 03, 2007