A pearl called Shirakawago

Shirakawago, Japan

A pearl called Shirakawago Reviews

-Squar3s- -Squar3s-
A pearl called Shirakawago Jan 20, 2012
Oh hi there, it's me again!

Shirakawago is a small village between Kanazawa and Takayama. I spent there 2 days, but if you just stay 1 it's fine too. You only need half a day to see all the spots, even though they have some trekking routes and towns with the same characteristics around. So, what makes Shirakawago so special I decided to call it "Pearl"?

I took a bus from Kanazawa station ( really beautiful station ) for 1 hours more or less to get there. When you arrive you find yourself surrounded by colorful mountains, even with some snow on the top of them ( it was may and yes, there was snow.) The tourist information is next to the bus station, which is pretty good. I had booked a guest-house (Shimizu) before, but you can book it in the tourist information, even in the houses. To arrive to the village you've to cross a long bridge, which depending on how many people are crossing it, starts to move dangerously! (It doesn't move at all, so no worries!) The first special feature you see are the stray rooftops. The houses are called "Gasshō-zukuri" which literally means "Clasped-hands". Its form is unique and surprisingly astonishing. After leaving my backpack in the house I decided to walk around and take some pictures. I visited some of the houses there to enjoy its architecture from the inside. I even had the chance to see how they change a rooftop. Almost noon, and trying to kill some time before having lunch, I got to the top of the small hill where photographers and tourist get their pictures of the town.

Hours passed so quickly... Most of the daily tourist left around 5 pm, so only a few dozens stayed there. It was time to enjoy the Ofuros (hot-tubs) outdoors.

Hot water & Bubbles + Beautiful nature = Epic success!

I met an American family that used to live in Tokyo, but they were moving to Singapore. Great people, beautiful daughter haha I hope they're doing great!

Next morning I went to the tourist office and bought a ticket to another city with same features than Shirakawago. I had the chance to see more local stores and learn more about the local stories.

So here comes my advice! I was in Japan for a month and a half, I had enough time to visit all the things I wanted. If you have enough time, or you're not in a hurry. Take at least 1 day and visit this precious pearl called Shirakawago!

Marc

PS: I'm not going to give any details about my flirting skills with the American girl. What happens in Shirakawago, stays in Shirakawago!
Kanazawa Station