A charming Christmas ornament village producer

Tlalpujahua, Mexico

A charming Christmas ornament village producer Tlalpujahua Reviews

monky monky
A charming Christmas ornament village producer. Dec 07, 2011
Tlalpujahua is a little town situated on Northeast of Michoacan about 107km away from Morelia to get there, I took the principal highway that connects Morelia with Mexico city and then in Contepec toll, there is a sign where I took the exit to follow the way to Tlalpujahua, it takes around of 2 hours to get there driving by car.

The name of this village comes from Nahuatl (native language of one of indigenous group from country) and means spongy or flabby land. The town has a very old history coming from prehispanic times when different indigenous groups settled down here, until Spaniards took control of this place.

This village was originally a mining community (gold and silver) but an unfortunate landslide of mud changed the history and today is very famous because it has become in one of the most important Christmas tree glass ornament leader producer specially for spheres not only in the country but overseas. Each year is produced millions and millions of spheres and most of them are exported to other countries. Anyway, at my surprise and as this was not enough reason to attract visitors we were told that there are other important activities to see and admire as well such as artisanal work over pink stone, pottery, and silver work.

To add even more attractions to this place we were told is suggested to visit as well the Mine "Dos estrellas" and the house where Lopez Rayon brothers (some of the independence heroes) were born, the beautiful convent and sanctuary of our lady Carmen and of course to try local food and also something that I noticed was very common to see on the street, the market and in little stores was a great variety of canned fruit.

On the way of your walking you will see there is also lot of smaller workshops making and offering other kind of handcrafted Christmas ornaments which help most people of this town keep involved into a economical activity.

Back to my visit as I was in the company of my parents and sister's family and since we got there around noon we did not have really much time to see and visit many places. My sister wanted to buy some spheres so basically we focoused on that. The village was crazily busy and packed of people everywhere it was not easy to find a place to park the car a police officer told us, weekends are usually like this, but these months even more because during November and early December there is an annual fair dedicated of course to Christmas ornaments.

In one of the places we stopped by, we had the chance to see and to know a little about the artisanal way of making spheres. A man was working with fire to manage long tubes made of glass, so once the glass raised certain temperature he started blowing very hard inside the tube to get a rounded bubble or sphere than when is cool is just ready to get the next step, the painting process, which is usually in charge of women, this way the sphere is taking a bath in a silver nitrate solution that gives it a metallic look. There is a wide variety of colors, but lively ones are perhaps the favourites of people and specially children, and finally comes last part of process all the details where creativity and imagination of every painter gives an original looking to every sphere.

Since this village is surrounded by a mountain area depending of the season the weather goes from cool to cold and as an extra note, from here is not so far to visit some of the Monarch Butterfly sanctuaries (29km) the nearest which gives to this place a strategic location so that, there is more to see than the town. We heard about also this eco tourism park (2km) away from town as an alternative suggested place to go camping.

Even though I did not spend a night in this place it seems there are several choices offered to travelers interested in staying more days coming from the camping place to cabins and hotels.

I highly recommend to visit this place, prices of these kind of things are cheap and the huge variety and ways to find out glass can be used to decorate a place even in other season of the year makes this place really interesting and worth it.

After my quick visit and realizing that there is lot to see I guess I will need to go for a next time to make a more complete tour and exploring beyond the town area. Meanwhile, hope you enjoy the collection of pics.
Spheres in different colors almost…
The annual sphere fair invitation.
At the entrance from one of the tr…
Spheres packed and ready to sell.
Sunflower300 says:
Wonderful!! I adore Christmas decorations and I've always been fascinated by glass blowers. Thanks so much for a fantastic review. Now I have a new pace on my 'I want to go there' list. :)
Posted on: Jan 26, 2012
goezi says:
Nice one Monica. Great to see the kids and your family in some of the shots. Cx
Posted on: Dec 11, 2011
mcphistino says:
Bien hecho, amiguita! Me gusta mucho tu review! Felicidades por el feature!
Posted on: Dec 09, 2011