A Walking Tour of Philadelphia

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

A Walking Tour of Philadelphia Reviews

mdfehmel mdfehmel
A Walking Tour of Philadelphia Jul 09, 2013
On a recent business trip I spent a day exploring around Philadelphia. When you see some of the other places I've been, you may wonder why this is such a big deal seeing that I grew up in the Northeastern U.S. and Philly is barely 150 miles from my front door. Well, believe it or not, as much international travel as I do, I had never before been to Philadelphia, our nation's first capital and the birthplace of the American Revolution. Our walking tour began at COnstitution Center, which is a fine museum of early American history with an obvious focus on the actual document itself. Although we didn't spend much time, the history buffs out there could easily spend at least a half day there. Just a short walk away is Independance Hall where you can see another important American historical document: the Declaration of Independance, and also nearby, the Liberty Bell. Also in the area, are several blocks of beautiful old Brownstone homes that really give old Philly it's great historical feel. Out on the Delaware River, we then visited the Independence Seaport Museum, home of the mothballed U.S. Navy submarine, USS Becuna and U.S. Navy Ship, USS Olympia. The Becuna is a decommissioned diesel-electric submarine that saw service from WWII through the Cold War and the Olympia is an old steel steam vessel that saw service from 1892 to 1921, most notably Admiral Dewey's flag ship during the Spanish American War in the Philippines. Following out tour of these 2 awesome ships, we made our way across the street to the USMC Beirut Memorial, Korean War Memorial, and ended the day with a personal pilgrimage to the site of Tun Tavern (no longer standing) which is the birth place of my beloved United States Marine Corps, back on 10 November, 1775. Since it was quite hot, we wrapped up our tour at the City Tavern, a replica of the original which was a favorite hang out of early famous American revolutionaries. The restaurant serves period food and craft beers taken from early recipes. All-in-all, the walking tour was great and served as a tremendous lesson in American colonial history.
Old Philadelphia.
Independence Seaport Museum
USS Olympia
Inside the submarine, USS Becuna.

Check Philadelphia Hotel Deals