A Taste of India

3279 Hampton Ave, Saint Louis, MO, USA

A Taste of India Saint Louis Reviews

sukiyakihotsake sukiyaki…
Jul 16, 2007
There was once Tandoori Hut, a great Indian food resturant at Hampton and Arsenal. And they're food was good. Really good. It was the first resturant that I ever ate Indian food. I would go there every sunday for 3 months. Then, new management took over and named the resturant A Taste of India. And it was bad. The selection for the lunch buffet was terrible. No pakoras! What kind of Indian buffet doesn't have pakoras! So after that initial dissatisfaction with the new take on things I stopped going there and explored some of the other Indian joints in town. But, I decided to give A Taste of India one last taste. And it was good! Scratch that... it was great!

The place is an old converted pizza hut, but you can only tell that from the outside. As you walk into the resturant you'll notice the bar on the left, buffet set up on the right, and a big screen TV showing the latest filmi, bhangra, dandya, and Bollywood music videos. The windows are draped with flowing saris and when the TV isn't on they place Indian music CDs. I sat and was brought a nice ice cold glass of water served in a stemmed glass. It wasn't as good as Steak N Shake's water, but it was refreshing.

The buffet is larger then when is was Tandoori Hut; they added another full table of items. You'll find several meat dishes like tandoori chicken and chicken tikka masala, and the occasional lamb item. Most of the items are vegetarian, though, which is great for me! Included is saag paneer, chana masala, dum aloo, navratan korma, and a mix of other okra, pea, and eggplant dishes. They have an assortment of chutneys and pickles, salad, and desert usually consists of a great kheer, gulab jamun, and fresh fruit. For a bread to go along with your food they have poori and naan. And yes, they serve pakoras now!

Their samosas were nice and fat and crispy, the chana masala was very flavorfull and so was the pea dish was fantastic. The okra one was not agreeable to my tastes, but the saag more then made up for it. Saag paneer is a creamed spinach and home made cheese dish that is my favorite Indian food of all time! The cubes of paneer had a nice crumbly texture (like thawed frozen tofu) and mild flavor... simply delectable! I finished off my meal with a small bowl of kheer (rice pudding with raisens, cardamom, and cashews).

Im glad I gave this place another shot. The service was excellent as well, as the waitress came by my table giving my a choice of extra naan or poori before anyone else, and there was only one poori in the basket, so you know I took it! I give A Taste of India 4 stars. The buffet is about $9.50, but for dinner the prices are just as high as every other Indian restaurant with dishes ranging from $10 to $20 each.

Check Saint Louis Hotel Deals