7 seas Backpackers Hostel

Gili Air, Indonesia

Compare Gili Meno Hotel Rates (2.1km away)

7 seas Backpackers Hostel Gili Air Reviews

andrejav andrejav
7 seas Backpackers Hostel May 18, 2013
It is close to the port, and that was the fact that made it very attractive. Gili Ayer is a small island, no motos, no taxis, no cars, just bicycles, horse carriages and walking. I checked information on the island before coming over, and prices of places to stay lingered around 100k on the low side and as 200$ on the high side.

So I kept walking a bit asking the prices and looking at the places and then decided to go back and take the dorm in the Hostel. It was only 150m from the port, in beginning of the nice area where restaurants and good beach is and the price was 80k per night with good WiFi included. I know that price difference between 80 and 100 is not much, but I just wanted to meet other people coming to the hostel and the room was very nicely arranged so there was space for all. Dorms are located in the long building, looking a bit like barn with eight rooms and cleaning/restroom area in the end of the hallway.

Room was a bit dark for my taste, but that could be easily fixed with opening back door and window wooden covers. Somehow that idea came to my head very rarely… One really sturdy bunk bed with the top bed almost in the air (this was the highest top bed that I have seen) was on the “main” floor and in the kind of duplex area close to the roof there was another big bed for two. Bunk beds were also large in every sense and very comfortable and clean. Cleaning ladies were doing their job very well so I did not really have feeling that I am in hostel at all. Whenever I get back to the room in the evening, beds were set and fixed and room smelled really nice on some citrus refresher.

One annoyance is the way they control WiFi, and that is with everyday passwords and login. Every morning you have to go to reception and ask for new paper with info, and also WiFi is not too reliable… Dorms area does not have any place to chill outside and just relax during the day. Every room do have a table and a chair, but that is inside… Shower, and water in general is another thing to talk about. You see Gili Ayer is an island, actually more like send bar which does not have any fresh water aside of rain. What they do on the island is to pull water from the wells under the island which bring out water that is not too salty, but it is salty… Salt collects in the faucets so when you are brushing your teeth first let that water flow a bit and then put it in the mouth. Taste will be less salty, I promise :)

In general it is a good venue, but I was there during the low season so I could easily find nice room for around 100k.

Compare Gili Meno Hotel Rates (2.1km away)

Gili Air Map