501 Winery

501 Winery  - The 501 Winery tasting room

501 Winery Childress Reviews

williamsworld williams…
Texas Wines, Texas Good May 25, 2012
Right on the beaten path, traveling Hwy 287 through Childress, TX (if you're a skier headed to Colorado from Dallas, you can't miss it) take a break and check out this gem! One of the newest Texas Wineries offers several great Texas wine styles from the 501 Winery as well as great wines from the Wichita Falls Winery just down the road. When you drive through Childress you can't help but notice the billboard that beckons you. Turn on Commerce and drive 3 1/2 blocks - the winery is on the left in downtown Childress. While you're there, you might want to drive a couple of blocks further and check out the winery's namesake - Engine 501 - a Childress landmark which was donated to the town in 1959 by the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad. It's just a couple of blocks further south in Armstrong Park.

In addition to the wine, there are several intriguing displays to peruse, including unique items from local artisans. The pottery was just beautiful. I bought a nice bowl for only $20 to take home to a friend. I wish I had taken a photo of the bowl before the wonderful clerk wrapped it up and put a bow on it. They also have an old wine press on exhibit that was used to make wine back in the 80's.

I felt very welcome when I stopped in. A very nice lady named Kathy greeted me and offered me a flight of wines to taste. Kathy showed me four but I thought two would be enough since I was going to be driving. I enjoyed the wines. The price point wasn’t really that bad. I ended up purchasing a bottle as a souvenir, but as I drove away, I realized I may just keep it for myself.
The 501 Winery tasting room
A nice view as you walk in
Kathy was very nice
the "bull" that started it all

Check Childress Hotel Deals