5 Days Morocco

Rabat, Morocco

5 Days Morocco Rabat Reviews

surfercalavera surferca…
Aug 22, 2007
My stay in Rabat was for a wedding. My best friend married a Moroccan lady. So, I did not have to pay for hotel or food. But the five days I was there I enjoyed to the max. This is my stay as I recall it.

Day 1: Arrival

We arrived at 1am in the morning local time. We were greeted by the host family and the party started and almost immediately the whole neighborhood was part of the celebration. The following day, after 20+ hour sleep depravation from my flight (jet lag) I woke up to the sounds prayers through a loud speaker of a nearby mosque calling on people to pray. This happens every 6 hours, Midnight, 6am, 12pm and 6pm.

Day 2: Sleep

Tough I wanted to get out I just couldn't. I needed to rest and slept until 4pm local time and I figured I had about 8 hours of sleep. My friend's brother in law, Khalid, was a great guide and like me, a surfer. So we walked around the castle taking pictures and went to the local market tasted some foods. Sunset was about 6-7pm and the weather was nice with coastal breeze.

Day 3: Wedding

The wedding was an experience to me, i have never been to a christian wedding before but I knew this Islamic event was different than ours. I remained in my chair for most of the wedding as no one else could speak English. However, everyone came to me to greet me and tried to somehow communicate with body language. Everyone at the party knew me as the "latin man" even though I am from the USA. The wedding went as planned and everyone seemed to have enjoyed it.

Day 4: Surfing

As my newly wed friend took off to his honey moon, I wanted to enjoy and get to know the city better. I asked Khalid to go to the beach with me and surf. Khalid knew a little English! So we surfed, waves were nice and the weather was perfect. After the session, we met with some of his friends and chatted, and some of them knew English and Spanish! We talked and had lunch and were invited to a party that night.

Day 4: Party

At the party I met a couple of travelers from Poland, Germany, Italy, Canada, US, England and France and Spain. On fellow knew 9 languages and was actually the translator, he was popular among the partiers. We there were about 12 of us and we headed to the beach, walking distance, and sat in a circle, started a bon fire and chatted and we play music and told each other expereinces. There I met Barbara from the US and made plans to go to Spain.

Day 5: Goodbye Rabat and hello Casablanca.

Barbara and I walked around the Rabat for one last look and experience. As we are planning on when to leace Rabat, and big celebration exploded, the King, was getting married and the whole city was out celebrating. We decided to stay a little longer and enjoyed some of the celebration. At 5pm Khalid droved us doen to Casablanca where we stayed at a hotel for one night ($49.00) waiting for flight the following morning.

Rabat was a great place, people were nice, and the whole city is just beatiful. There seemed to be a lot of guides everywhere and tour buses everywhere. The weather was nice (around Aug). I will add pcitures and details later.

Check Rabat Hotel Deals