4 Season Retreat

Check Twizel Hotel Deals

4 Season Retreat Twizel Reviews

sim1 sim1
Tired and not well taken care of Apr 02, 2017
So far we have been in luck with the accomodations we have booked in New Zealand. But in Twizel I was so very much disappointed of where we ended up.

The house we rented is called "The 4 Seasons Retreat" in Twizel. Twizel itself is a strange town: the town was founded in 1968 to house construction workers on the Upper Waitaki Hydroelectric Scheme. The town was built as a temporarily town while the construction was ongoing, but somehow the town and the houses remained even after the build. I don't know if this caused it, but it definately lacks all charm. Twizel is location-wise an ok choice, as it close to the Cook mountain (can recommend to hike here!).

I've posted only one picture of the house, and that was actually the only picture I took there: a naked lightbulb as ceiling light. That to me symbolized the place: clearly a lack of love for it, and certainly no thoughts how any guests would enjoy staying here.

There were no bedside lamps, naked bulbs as ceiling lights, the bed was horrible and impossible to sleep in, and the kitchen... sigh. Drawers almost fell out when you opened them, and all the cupboards were full with food of the owners. So much so that the odour of spices coming from the cupboards disgusted me, not to talk about all the almost empty liquor bottles in the cupboard. No place to put much of my own groceries anywhere in the kitchen (after opening them, I really didn't want to anyway). And remember: it wasn't that cheap of a place to rent! So I stayed here two nights, irritating me on everything. Luckily we had a gorgeous sunny day, so we spend it at Mount Cook hiking all day and had a fantastic time there.

Final question: would I stay here again? Well, I think you guessed the answer: no, never again! Not even if it was for free.
starship1 says:
Your photo is a perfect illustration! Really disappointing. But it was interesting to here about how Twizel came into being.
Posted on: Apr 03, 2017