3 Square Café + Bakery

1121 Abbot Kinney, Venice, CA, USA
3 Square Café + Bakery  - ham and cheese panini with eggs
3 Square Café + Bakery  - avocado fries and fire roasted tomatoes
3 Square Café + Bakery  - tuna burger with pretzel bread
3 Square Café + Bakery  - Avocado fries - it is true that everything is good fried! :)
3 Square Café + Bakery  - My plate of morning goodness!
3 Square Café + Bakery  - salmon and scrambled eggs crepe

3 Square Café + Bakery Venice Reviews

sybil sybil
great brunch place in venice (beach, that is) Aug 17, 2008
for a nice weekend brunch close to the beach, 3 square is the perfect location.

this new venture by hans rockenwagner dishes mostly austrian and/or german fare. the place is on the small side and they don't take reservations. so you may get lucky and there is no line... or maybe not.

we started off with the avocado fries with fire roasted tomatoes. avocado fries? pray tell. well, they were basically strips of avocado... fried. instead of catsup, we dipped it in the fire roasted tomatoes. i figured good fat and bad fat just canceled each other out and i happily ate... just fat, thank you very much. it actually tasted good. it was crunchy on the outside and soft and mushy on the inside.

we also had smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and tomatoes in a crepe. dipped in creme fraiche, the dish was yummy. it looked healthy, tasted healthy, and tasted yummy. i liked the crepe touch becuase it was light and fluffy and the salmon was not fishy.

we also had the ham and cheese panini using blackforest ham and you can choose 2 eggs cooked any style you want. i also enjoyed this one very much. the cheese was melted and surprisingly, did NOT coagulate after it sat on the table as we alternated between the panini and the crepe and the avocado fries. the ham was juicy and had that nice sweetness to it. my only beef is that we ordered the eggs cooked sunny side up and it was a bit on the "well done" side.

the service was fine. there is valet parking but if you are not in a rush, you can find street parking behind abbott kinney.

i would go back here.

*8-16-08 - i have actually gone back multiple times and love the pretzel bread. i don't eat the burger, which is on a pretzel bread, but i heard it was good. i did eat the tuna burger and paid extra for the pretzel bread. it was fantastic. the tuna was not dry (lightly seared) and the pretzel bread was soft and not so salty. it was quite good although this sub would make the burger really huge and might be messy to bite into.
avocado fries and fire roasted tom…
salmon and scrambled eggs crepe
ham and cheese panini with eggs
tuna burger with pretzel bread
alicegourmet says:
Oh Sybil! Seems that it's a great place to have brunch! I really need to try this spot...hope you can join me! :D
Posted on: Aug 17, 2008
latelunch says:
The avocado fries are amazing. I also love the 3 sandwich combo. They put 3 different mini sandwiches on top of these square bowls, and in each bowl is a garnish that matches accordinly. hans german influence really rang through with the turkey sandwich topped with pretzel bread and pickled sauerkraut.
Posted on: Feb 15, 2008
ys484 says:
Congrats on the featured review:)
Posted on: Feb 14, 2008
martinikitty13 martinik…
Feb 19, 2008
This is a lovely cafe located on the trendy stretch of Abbot Kinney, filled with wonderful boutiques, galleries and trendy eateries. It's always nice just to stroll through this area on a nice, sunny day.

After hearing about the avocado fries here, I had to try them! I arrived around 11:30am on a saturday morning and the place was already hopping! I had to wait about 10 minutes for the table, but it was fun people (and dog) watching. (Random note - we saw the most beautiful siberian husky here - an immense creature with the most gorgeous blue eyes. The owner was really nice and let us play with the dog.) Ok - back to the review...

Service is awesome here! So friendly and attentive and nice. It also helped that our server was cute. :) But more importantly, the food was also good. Avocado fries were large strips of avocado deep-fried and served with a smoky tomato salsa (sort of a different take on guacamole). I also had a veal sausage with soft scrambled eggs which came with yummy potatoes. Quite delish.

All in all - an enjoyable place, but I think the ambience and service may have outshone the food for me.
Avocado fries - it is true that ev…
My plate of morning goodness!
sybil says: