17 Mile Dr

17 Mile Dr, Monterey, CA, USA

17 Mile Dr Monterey Reviews

travelwithsuz travelwi…
CALIFORNIA’S WACKY WEATHER…FROM FRESNO TO MONTEREY Apr 20, 2015
Fresno is experiencing a heat wave!

It was a week of triple digits. Almost everyone in the house were dying to have a break and get away from the boiling temperature. So it wasn’t a surprise when I received a heads up from my brother that the whole family is off on a road trip to Monterey that weekend.

The motorway was packed that day. It was like a modern version of The Exodus. I can’t help but wonder, what is special about Monterey? Two hours later, my question was answered when I saw the fog forming over the horizon. The temperature was dropping as we gradually approached our destination. The plan was to do a scenic drive through the 17 Mile Drive.

The 17-Mile Drive is a 17-mile (27 km)-long scenic loop which has direct access to Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove. I was told that this area is considered to be one of the poshest places in California. because of the famous golf courses and mansions that we passed by. We spent a few minutes lingering along the streets and stopping once in a while to gawk at the dream houses with it’s grand architecture.

Part of the scenic attractions were the Lone Cypress, Bird Rock and the 5,300-acre Del Monte Forest of Monterey Cypress trees

Standing on a granite hillside off California’s scenic 17-mile drive in Pebble Beach, the Lone Cypress is a western icon, and has been called one of the most photographed trees in North America. The tree is located between Cypress Point Golf Course and the Pebble Beach Golf Links, two of world’s most well known golf courses. Possibly as old as 250 years, the cypress has been scarred by fire and held in place with cables for 65 years

The last stop before lunchtime was Carmel Beach. My oh my…..it was crowded!

It was funny that ten minutes ago, the temperature was about 65 deg F and it increased another 15 degrees as we reached the beach area. For the last couple of hours, I have been taking off and putting on my cardigan on every stop. My body was confused and couldn’t make up it’s mind. I was having a hot flash one minute and a cold flash the next.

What awesome experience!