10 "Must See" Things and 20 "To Do" Items Okinawa Reviews
Feb 07, 2008
Here is a short list of things everyone "must see" in Okinawa:
- Kokusai Dori or "International Street" in the prefecture capital city of Naha.
- Shuri Castle and city gates built in the 14th century.
- Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium including two 14-foot whale sharks, manta rays and schooling fish like tuna and bonita swimming around in a huge 7,500 ton tank right over your head as you look up through 27-inch thick pexiglass.
- The Busena Terrace Hotel where the G8 summit was held in July 2000 (Very expensive but the food, views and activities are fantastic even if you just get a 1-day pass!).
- Cape Hedo at the north end of the island.
- Japanese Underground Headquarters during WWII.
- Peace Prayer Park and Okinawa Battlefields tour.
- Bullfighting (bull versus bull and usually nobody gets hurt).
- Traditional Okinawan "Eisa" drummers.
- Nago Cherry Blossom Festival (end of January).
Here is a short list of things to do in Okinawa:
- Sunset sailing cruises and whale watching.
- Watch the "Kame" sea turtles hatch and make their way to the ocean--sometimes there are several hundred baby turtles that just hatched (July-August) making their way out to sea.
- ClubMed Kabira all-inclusive on the nearby island of Ishigaki--Voted best resort hotel in Japan by "Dive and Travel magazine". Gotta try the Ishigaki beef (all corn fed) BBQ. We also enjoyed hunting for the tiny star-shaped sand and the submarine to the live reefs offshore of nearby Iriomote Island via speedboat. The yak-pulled cart to the botanical gardens of Yubu Island with birds and butterflies.
- Dragon boat races.
- Outstanding snorkelling and scuba.
- Surfing and beach combing for HUGE shells.
- Pottery and artwork unique to Yomitan, Okinawa.
- Try your hand at glass blowing.
- "Pizza in the Sky" if you can find it on the hilltop overlooking the islets near the Aquarium.
- Ryukyu Okinawa Village.
- Yambaru Subtropical Park and Ryukyu Castle Butterfly Park.
- Orion Brewery and Helios Micro-Brewery.
- All types of water sports, surfing, hiking and paragliding.
- Visit the other islands of the Ryukyuan Islands.
- The Zoo in Okinawa City is very impressive.
- Hike to the 30-foot tall Hiji Falls.
I will have to write more later and post pictures with my reviews.
Part of the list Okinawa, Japan
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!